Prayer shawls are an awesome gift for someone who has recently been ill, lost a love one, or is struggling with something. It is like a big hug. Made a bit larger than a normal shawl, it is half blanket, half shawl. The idea of a prayer shawl is that the person who made it prayed as they were making it. They prayed over it, or with each stitch or row. They thought of the recipient, prayed for them and those prayers and thoughts transcend into the shawl.I named this shawl "Jacob's Ladder" because I love the story in the Bible. The story, in short, is about Jacob who is traveling. He dreams one night that he saw a ladder or "stairs" coming down from Heaven. On these stairs the angels were going up and down. God was at the top of the ladder. The Bible tells us that this dream was a sign of God's promise to us. His promise is to be with us and keep us where ever we should go and bring us back to Him. I named it "Jacob's Ladder" because I think that this shawl is a symbol of God's promise to us. The person who receives this shawl will be wrapped in God's promise to be with us and keep us, no matter what-- a perfect meaning for this shawl.
I crocheted this pattern using two similar hues of dark red. The ladders go width-wise. This is an easy pattern and works up quickly.
The Pattern:
Jacob’s Ladder Prayer Shawl
worsted weight yarn 3 skeins
Size I hook
Start with 275 Foundationless Half Double Crochets.
Row 2: Chain 3, DC in third HDC from bottom row. *Ch 1, Skip one HDC and DC in next*, repeat from * to * to end of row. Ch 2 and turn.
Row 3: HCD in each DC and chain space. In last chain space make 2 HDC. Chain 3 and turn. (275 HDCs)
Row 4: DC in third HDC from the row below. *Ch 1, skip one HDC and DC in the next hdc*. repeat from * to * to end of row. Chain 2 and turn.
Row 5: HDC in each DC and chain space. In last chain space make 2 HDC. Chain 3 and turn.
Change colors.
Row 6: HCD in each HDC. (275 HDCs). Chain 3 and turn.
Repeat rows 2-5 with this color.
Repeat color change 5 more times. Bind off.
Add fringe if you like.
This is my own pattern that I made up in my own head. Please see my note on the side bar about patterns and my intellectual material, rights, and permissions.



No comments:
Post a Comment